A couple weeks ago, I was over on my pal’s blog, I Met At Eve. She posted a quote that really caught my attention and made me reflect. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken,” is what the Oscar Wilde quote read. No sooner than I shared it on the Mommy Delicious Facebook and Twitter page had it regurgitated “likes” and retweets.
I guess it hit home for other people too.
I guess it's easier to be uniquely YOU when other people are encouraging. And accepting.
I remember being an adolescent and trying to “find myself” while trying to “fit in” with friends. (I would never want to go back to that time, by the way.) At some point, I realized that trying to "find myself" and trying to "fit in" could not happen simultaneously. Something had to give. I couldn't be the studious girl who heads organizations and clubs and the one who goes to the dopest parties. (Not yet, anyhow.) Once I accepted who I really was, I found friends and groups of people to spend time with that were, well, like me. Birds of a feather flock together, is what they say.
Needless to say, adolescence was not easy.
Who would have thought that being an adult wouldn’t prove to be any easier. In fact, it seems even more difficult at times. Sometimes it’s hard to stay true to yourself when the world wants you to bend and stretch in so many different directions.
Even with blogging – “Be this person to sell this product,” or “say these things to promote this site.” Eek! Don’t get me wrong, I promote brands and products that I already use and really like. 93.8% of the time. The other 6.2%, I do it out of guilt. But, no more. My time is extremely valuable and from now on, I’m only promoting a brand or product if (1) I already use it and I’m getting compensated for it, (2) I tried it out and love it and plan to use it going forward and I’m getting compensated for it, or (3) It’s way too good to pass up for both you and me… and I’m getting compensated for it. (Notice a trend here with the compensation… a single mother’s gotta do what a single mother’s gotta do!) I write this publicly so that you can hold me accountable for it. Because, at the end of the day, I’d rather connect with you – people – than brands.
But I digress. Sort of.
I have many different moods and more often than not, my posts reflect them. Sometimes I’m witty. Sometimes I’m strong. Sometimes I’m reflective. Sometimes I’m wise (sometimes). But I’m always, always passionate. And my posts are always heartfelt. And I hope that one of the reasons you keep coming back is because you're getting that from each post. (Thank you.)
I’m still trying to find myself and find my voice, and I don’t pretend that I’m not. But I often look inside myself and make sure that what I’m sharing and the energy that I’m exuding is purely... me. Entirely. Completely. I don’t pretend to be something that I’m not because, honestly, I think it’ll get me nowhere. I share my truths and my stories because that’s what I know. And that’s how I pay it forward.
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Seuss.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, Dr. Seuss. Truer words have never been spoken.
How do you stay true to yourself?